Leading research organizations and institutions
The catalogue of organizations of the Republic of Belarus engaged in scientific research and experimental development is a fourth revised and updated edition. The catalogue is based on the list of organizations of the Republic of Belarus reporting on state statistical form №1-science (short) “Report on carrying out of research and development”.
The catalogue includes addresses of 273 organizations (as of 1 August 2005), information on main activities and councils on thesis defending (as of 22 September 2005), and number of staff engaged in research and development including Doctors of Science and Philosophy Doctors (based on the written survey of organizations as of 30 June 2005).
The catalogue is compiled based on the sector-focused classification OKONH (National Classification of Branches of the National Economy) and is subdivided into three sections: “Science and Science Services”, “Education”, and “Other Branches of the Economy”.
The section “Science and Science Services” covers 180 organizations and is presented by two subsections: “Research Organizations” and “Other Organizations Engaged in R&D”. Organizations engaged in the creation, development, dissemination and application of scientific and technological knowledge as well as in science services are integrated within this section.
The subsection “Research Organizations” includes 139 institutions, the main function of which is research activity. According to the Local Classification of Activity Sectors and Types of Related Organizations, organizations of the subsection include:
• organizations of ministries and other republican bodies of state administration, including the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus;
• organizations of local administration bodies;
• sector-focused research institutes;
• research institutes (centers) subordinate to higher education establishments.
• The second subsection “Other Organizations Engaged in R&D” includes:
• design, developing and technological organizations;
• design and design and prospecting organizations in construction;
• industrial organizations;
• experimental bases;
The second section “Education” includes 43 higher education establishments engaged in R&D.
The third section “Other Branches of the Economy” covers 50 organizations that are grouped into two subsections: “Research Organizations” (includes 15 organizations) and “Other Organizations Engaged in R&D”. Other branches of the economy do not include science and science services and education and cover the following branches: industry, agriculture, forestry, construction, information and computer services, housing and municipal services, health care, and administration.
In order to facilitate the search of the necessary information, the catalogue is supplemented by four annexes:
• Alphabet index (Annex 1)
• Index of subordination of R&D organizations to the bodies of state authority and administration, by the codes of the National Classification of the Bodies of State Authority and Administration (OKGOU) (Annex 2)
• List of organizations in territorial breakdown (by regions and Minsk-City) (Annex 3)
• Information on active councils on thesis defending functioning in organizations as of 22 September 2005 (Annex 4)
• Subject index (Annex 5)
The following symbols have been used in the catalogue:
XXX – index number of organization or enterprise engaged in R&D, e.g. 001;
Staff – payroll number of employees engaged in R&D (excluding multiple job holders and those holding legal-civil contracts), persons
* – R&D activities were carried out by multiple job holders or those holding legal-civil contracts
… – data on the number of employees are not available
PhD – Philosophy Doctor (Candidate of Science using the national terms)
Councils on thesis defending are coded using the following symbols:
D 02.07.03 – code of the council for doctoral thesis defending;
PhD 05.32.01 – code of the council for PhD thesis defending;
CD 04.01.01 and CPhD 04.01.01 – codes of the councils for secret doctoral and PhD theses defending respectively
08.00.12 – speciality code (e.g. accounting, statistics)
OTHER ORGANIZATIONS AND ENTERPRISES OF INDUSTRY
OTHER ORGANISATIONS ENGAGED IN R&D
LIST OF ORGANISATIONS IN TERRITORIAL BREAKDOWN
INDEX OF SUBORDINATION OF R&D ORGANIZATIONS TO THE BODIES OF STATE AUTHORITY AND ADMINISTRATION
INFORMATION ON ACTIVE COUNCILS ON THESIS DEFENDING FUNCTIONING IN ORGANISATIONS